Wednesday, April 10

Lucas Chronicles: Yet again...


Having almost a month off of constant and intense chemo really sucked.  It gave us a taste of normalcy and freedom.  A glimpse of what "normal" and "regular" are.  The ability to travel and visit with friends and family.  Now this week we started up chemo again.  Lumbar puncture Tuesday along with a triple cocktail injection.  Also Daunorubicin and Vincristine.  Today, Dauno at home, but still able to make it to day care and be with his friends and his wonderful teachers.  Tomorrow we are inpatient for 3 days or so for cytoxin along with neulasta.  Next week begins the tortuous regiment of Erwinia for 6 doses.  Bruised legs and painful injections.  Long days and nights.  Perhaps fevers and ER visits.

I watch our little bear smile even through the pain because this is his life.  His pain, his struggle.  As his father, I struggle to watch him go through this every day.  I try not to complain about my aches and pains or my "little" problems.  I also struggle to cope with the fact that all I can do is assist the Dr's and Nurses with his treatment plan.  

Here's to another week of Cancer.  Another week of volunteer visits to see if you need anything.  Crappy coffee delivered by Brenda (the nicest, happiest person I've met in a long time).  Rescheduling a wedding anniversary and birthday for my wife and I.  This is life, this is cancer.  This is just another reason for more research and awareness.  Not my pain or complaints but for the pain and suffering of our little ones.

 
My salute to The Bear and Pediatric Leukemia

No comments: